21st Century Infrared Healing
Table of Contents
What is Infrared
What is Infrared?
- Infrared is a type of light that we cannot see with our eyes
- Infrared is a band in the electromagnetic spectrum
- The prefix ‘infra’ means ‘below’ (lower frequency than red light)
Energy from the Sun
About 49% of the energy from the Sun that warms the earth comes from infrared
Discovery of Infrared
- Sir Frederick William Herschel (1738-1822), well known musician and astronomer
- William Herschel is perhaps most famous for his discovery of the planet Uranus in 1781
- In 1800, William Herschel identified what he called, “calorific rays” that existed beyond the red part of the spectrum that behaved like visible light
- Later renamed infrared rays or infrared radiation
Wavelength and Frequency
- Wavelength: Length of a cycle
- Frequency: The number of cycles per time
- Shorter Wavelength = Higher Frequency
The Electromagnetic Spectrum
1 micron = 1 millionth of a meter
1 inch = 25,400 microns (μm)
- Near Infrared
- Mid Infrared
- Far Infrared?
- Many people refer to Far Infrared (FIR), but there are multiple classifications used to designate what is “Far”
The International Commission on Illumination (CIE)
ISO 20473 vs. Astronomers
- All materials with a temperature greater than absolute zero (-273 degrees Celsius) radiate energy in the far infrared region
- The higher the temperature, the higher radiation energy
- In general, the heat transfer moves from the higher temperature body to the lower temperature body
- The amount of radiation is also affected by type of material and the surface condition
- Ceramics radiate a lot of far infrared
- The radiation of far infrared is low in metal, however metal is a good reflector
Wavelength vs. Temperature
- Except for metal, most materials in our personal belongings, such as plastics, paints, textiles, wood, rubber, food and the human body, absorb electromagnetic waves from 2.5 μm to 30 μm.
- The oxygen and nitrogen in air do not absorb far infrared rays, however, carbon dioxide (CO2) and water vapor (H2O) readily absorb far infrared rays
We are all flashlights
- The human body both sends and receives infrared
- The body emits infrared wavelengths between 3 and 50 microns with the greatest output around 9.4 microns
- Within the infrared spectrum, in the 6-14 micron range, are rays known as the "Vital Rays"
- These rays have been shown to be most beneficial to the body
- Between Mid Infrared and Far Infrared
Wien's Displacement Law
- λ = Black Body Radiation Peak Wavelength
- b = Wien's Displacement Constant
- 2.8977729 × 10−3 m°K
- 2,898 μm°K
- T = Absolute temperature in Kelvin
Human Body and Water
- Up to 90% of human body weight comes from water
- Up to 60% of the human body is water
- The brain is composed of 70% water,
- The lungs are nearly 90% water.
- Lean muscle tissue contains about 75% water by weight, as is the brain;
- Body fat contains 10% water and bone has 22% water
- About 83% of our blood is water, which helps digest our food, transport waste, and control body temperature.
- Each day humans must replace 2.4 liters of water, some through drinking and the rest taken by the body from the foods eaten.
Absorption Spectrum of Liquid Water
Note the peak near the human-infrared wavelength. Coincidence?
Heat Transfer – Three Types
- Heat transfer by direct contact between two objects
- For example: stove cooking, or traditional heating pad
- Heat transfer via a liquid or gas
- The heated molecules of air or water physically bump into other molecules, and transfer some of their energy.
- For example, blowing air to cool something down
- When electromagnetic waves travel through space, it is called radiation.
- When electromagnetic waves contact an object, they transfer heat to that object.
- Radiation heat transfer does not rely on any intermediary to conduct heat - it works directly on the molecules it encounters in its path. Because of this, it is highly efficient.
- We get heat from the Sun through radiation heat transfer
Conventional Heating Pad vs. Infrared Heating Pad
Radiation heat transefer versus conduction heat transfer.
Campfire or a Naked Lady?
Off the coast of Japan a fishing boat capsized and the crew was plunged into frigid water. The women in the fising village stripped down and held the crew suffering from hypothermia. Why not use a campfire? That is because the campfire produces near infrared which does not penetrate as deeply as the far infrared from the human body. The human body is tuned to the same frequency range for maximum absorbtion of heat for another human.
The Myth of 98.6°F
- Carl Reinhold August Wunderlich (1815-1877), took one million temperatures readings from 25,000 people and concluded the average/normal or mean temperature of healthy adults was 98.6°F (37.0°C)
- Normal temperature actually varies by race, sex, and other factors, and especially by time of day
- Average human temperature might be closer to 98.0°F, but this cannot really be said to be “normal”
Body Temperature Varies Throughout the Day
The Body Creates Fevers
Fever acts to slow down microbial metabolism while, at the same time, enhances immune cell function.
Raising Body Temperature
- The history of raising body temperature for therapeutic purposes can be traced back twenty three hundred years ago
- “Give me the power to produce fever, and I will cure all disease.” Hippocrates (460 BC)
Infrared Raises Body Temperature
Body Temperature and the Immune System
Body Temperature vs. Immune Response
Professor Abo (Japan)
- Our immune functions are improved by 40% when we increase our body temperature by 1°C (1.8°F)
- Ishihara Yumi, PhD (Japan)
- When our body is temperatures is raised 1°C higher than normal body temperatures, our immunity increases 5-6 times
- When the body temperatures drops by 1°C, our immunity decreases 30%
- He claims the average Japanese body temperature has declined 0.5°C in the last 50 years
Professor Hiromi Shinya, PhD
(Albert Einstein College of Medicine, NY)
- When the body temperature drops 0.5°C, the enzymes in the body become less active and the immunity decreases by about 30%
- The body temperature at which cancer cells can multiply more easily is around 35°C (95°F). This is because the activity of enzymes becomes slower, decreasing the body’s immune functions.
- Enzymes work more actively in higher body temperature
- People with low body temperature have poor immunity
- People with low body temperature have poor blood circulation
- People with low body temperature are prone to bad gene mutation and hence suffering from cancer
- More and more people are suffering from “low body temperature syndrome”
Yueling (Well-known Physician in China)
- When body temperature falls below 35°C (95°F), the chance of death is about 30%
- Low body temperature results in a drop of blood production
- Low body temperature affects the growth of young children
- Low body temperature results in the hardening of the arteries
- At lower body temperature, the arteries contract and the layer of cholesterol within them hardens
- Low body temperature increases the chances of suffering from cancer
November 2011 issue of the Journal of Leukocyte Biology
Scientists found that the generation and differentiation of a particular kind of lymphocyte, known as a "CD8+ cytotoxic T-cell" (capable of destroying virus-infected cells and tumor cells) is enhanced by mild fever-range hyperthermia. Specifically, their research suggests that elevated body temperature changes the T-cells’ membranes which may help mediate the effects of micro-environmental temperature on cell function.
Low Temperature Syndrome
- Very young are limited in their ability to regulate body temperature when exposed to environmental extremes
- A newborn infant’s body temperature decreases if the infant is exposed to a cool environment for a long period
- Heat loss mechanisms are notfully developed in the newborn
- Elderly people are often limited in their ability to regulate body temperature when exposed to environmental extremes
- Elderly people also are not able to produce enough heat to maintain body temperature in a cool environment
- The elderly do not lose as muchheat from their skin as do younger people
Japan Far Infrared Rays Association
Society of medical practitioners and researchers dedicated to furthering infrared therapy
Mission: To protect well-being of consumers through deep understandings of FIR technologies, related products and markets. To promote FIR related industries with steady progress.
Far Infrared therapy increases blood circulation and oxygen supply to damaged tissues (aiding reduction of chronic joint and muscle pain or sport injuries), promotes relaxation and comfort, induces sleep and relieves stress
Improves Circulation & Cardiovascular Function
- FIR waves raise the body temperature warming the blood and expanding the blood vessels
- There is an increase in peripheral blood flow and volume, resulting in improved circulation and heart function
Improves Immune System Function
- FIR ray’s deep heat raises your body temperature inducing an artificial and healthy fever
- As the body works to combat the “fever,” your body’s immune system is activated and strengthened
- Combined with the detoxification of harmful toxins and waste products, your overall health and resistance to disease is greatly improved
- The deep heat of the far infrared helps peripheral blood vessels dilate, bringing relief and healing to muscles and soft tissue injuries
- Increased blood circulation carries off metabolic waste products and delivers oxygen rich blood to oxygen depleted muscles, so they recover faster
Burns Calories and Controls Weight
- As you relax in the gentle heat of the far infrared, you body is actually hard at work, producing sweat, pumping blood and burning calories
- According to a Journal of the American Medical Association report, a single far infrared session burns as many calories as rowing or jogging for 30 minutes
Eases Joint Pain and Stiffness
- FIR heat therapy is widely used to treat patients suffering from many kinds of arthritis and musculoskeletal disorders
- In addition, it has been proved effective in the treatment of sprains, neuralgia, bursitis, muscle spasms, joint stiffness and many other musculoskeletal ailments
- Stiffness, aches and soreness that come with aging are reduced or eliminated using FIR
Reduces Stress and Fatigue
- The gentle warmth of the far infrared rays helps to sooth nerves and relaxes tight or knotted muscles
- The end result is reduced stress and improved energy
- FIR penetrates the skin deeply, helping detoxify impurities from the skin and lymph
- In addition, exfoliation is greatly enhanced by the FIR, rapidly remove dead skin cells
- Increased circulation draws your skin’s own natural nutrients to the surface, rejuvenating your skin’s health and appearance
Removes Bodily Toxins and Assists in Detoxification
FIR helps to detoxify the body in several important ways
- Increased blood circulation stimulates the sweat glands, releasing built up toxins and waste
- Daily sweating can help detoxify your body as it rids itself of an accumulation of potentially carcinogenic heavy metals, alcohol, nicotine, sodium, sulfuric acid, cholesterol, and uric acid
- In addition to sweating, far infrared is capable of removing toxins via several other bodily systems
Elevates the Mood
Infrared treatment can release serotonin, creating a better sense of well-being
- "The most dangerous times for heart attack and for all kinds of cardiovascular emergency — including sudden cardiac death, rupture or aneurysm of the aorta, pulmonary embolism and stroke — are the morning and during the last phase of sleep. A group from Harvard estimated this risk and evaluated that on average, the extra risk of having a myocardial infarction, or heart attack, between 6 a.m. and noon is about 40%. But if you calculate only the first three hours after waking, this relative risk is threefold."
- When someone sleeps on an infrared mat, the core temperature is raised overnight, so the body temperature does not follow the normal pattern
German Medical Research
German medical researchers concluded one session of far infrared therapy for over 1 hour can have significant reduction of blood pressure thanks to persistent peripheral vessels dilation. They also noted that blood viscosity was improved. After 1 hour of far infrared radiance, there is a significant decrease of blood pressure - cardiac ejection resistance - total peripheral resistance - and significant increase of heart rate, stroke volume, cardiac output, and ejection fraction.
According to the Clayton’s Electrotherapy, 9th Edition, far infrared radiation is the only antidote to excessive ultraviolet radiation
Reduction of Electromagnetic Stress
Japanese researchers have reported that far infrared radiant heat is an antidote to the negative effects of toxic electromagnetic fields
Dr. Sasaki Kyuo, M.D.
Far Infrared Therapy:
- Improves micro circulation by exerting strong rotational and vibrational effects at molecular level.
- Enhances the delivery of oxygen and nutrients in the blood cell to the body's soft tissue areas.
- Promotes regeneration and fast healing.
- Increases metabolism between blood and tissue.
- Enhances white blood cell function, thereby increasing immune response and the elimination of foreign pathogens and cellular waste products.
- Removes accumulated toxins by improving lymph circulation which are often at the core of many health problems.
- Stimulates the hypothalamus, which controls the production of neurochemicals involved in such biological processes as sleep, mood, pain sensations, and blood pressure.
Cancer and Infrared
- The first documented case of using heat to treat cancer systematically was in Germany in 1965, by Dr. Aldin. He used a light anesthesia and a 45°C (113°F) hot tub.
- FIR is an effective way to raise internal body temperature and hence treat cancer
- A study involving 99 patients in Germany showed the effectiveness at 64% with one treatment
National Cancer Institute
Statments from the National Cancer Institute Website:
- Hyperthermia is a type of cancer treatment in which body tissue is exposed to high temperatures (up to 113°F) to damage and kill cancer cells.
- Hyperthermia is almost always used with other forms of cancer therapy, such as radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
- Several methods of hyperthermia are currently under study, including local, regional, and whole-body hyperthermia.
- Many clinical trials (research studies) are being conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of hyperthermia.
- Hyperthermia (also called thermal therapy or thermotherapy) is a type of cancer treatment in which body tissue is exposed to high temperatures (up to 113°F). Research has shown that high temperatures can damage and kill cancer cells, usually with minimal injury to normal tissues. By killing cancer cells and damaging proteins and structures within cells, hyperthermia may shrink tumors.
- Hyperthermia is under study in clinical trials (research studies with people) and is not widely available
- Hyperthermia is almost always used with other forms of cancer therapy, such as radiation therapy and chemotherapy. Hyperthermia may make some cancer cells more sensitive to radiation or harm other cancer cells that radiation cannot damage. When hyperthermia and radiation therapy are combined, they are often given within an hour of each other. Hyperthermia can also enhance the effects of certain anticancer drugs.
The Fourth Treatment for Medical Refugees
- It is well known that cancer cells are heat-sensitive. That is why thermotherapy that heats up the body from the outside is very effective.
- Since there is a low blood flow within the tumor mass, its temperature can be easily increased. Since the normal cells surrounding the tumor mass have a thermostatic function, their temperature will not be increased as much as the cancer cells.
- Therefore, there will be a temperature gradient between the cancer cells and the normal cells.
- When the tumor mass is at 42°C, it will become inactive. However, since a normal cell's temperature is limited up to 40°C due to the cooling effects of blood flow, they will not be as affected as the tumor cells.
- Since tumor cells do not have a sufficient amount of blood vessels, they are not under regulation of the autonomic nervous system. Therefore, they do not have enough blood flow, they produce lactates and are in an acidic state. As cells become more acidic, they become more heat sensitive. Therefore, when the temperature is increased to more than 42°C, cancer cells are more likely to die naturally.
The Fourth Treatment for Medical Refugees THERMOTHERAPY IN THE NEW CENTURY by Nakamachi Nobuhiro Yoshimizu, M.D., Ph.D., Garden Clinic Director
Heat Shock Proteins
- Tumor cells are invisible to the immune system, but they change under the influence of heat
- With heat, they form “heat shock proteins“ (HSP), certain proteins which appear on the surface of the degenerated cells
- The body's own immune system detects these proteins as extraneous cells, giving a clear indication for the immune cells to fight the cancer cells
Nakamachi Nobuhiro Yoshimizu, M.D., Ph.D.
- Another reason thermotherapy is so effective is because of its activation effects for heat shock proteins (HSP). Heat shock protein is known to protect cells from thermal stress when thermal stress is applied to the cells.
- In order for our body to prevent HSP secretions and allow it to recover, our brain actively secretes hormones called endorphins. People sometimes feel happy when they run or exercise. Such effects have to do with the endorphin that provides happy emotions and relives pain.
- Therefore, we believe that when we perform thermotherapy on patients, endorphins are secreted to protect our patient’s body from pain. Eighty percent of cancer patients are prescribed morphine to control their pain. However, in thermotherapy, we may proceed with the cancer treatment without any use of morphine.
- Heat shock proteins activate lymphocytes called natural killer cells and promote the synthesis of anti-cancer interferons to strengthen the body’s immune system.
- Heat shock protein’s basic function is to protect our body from stress and repair damaged cells. It also activates other immune cells by detecting foreign bodies within the body and makes cancer cells vulnerable to other immune cells.
- Since heat shock proteins are made by heating up the normal cells, we do not need to heat up the body as much as when we treat cancer. Therefore, there is a treatment modality called "mild heating." At our clinic, we combine hot mat therapy with steam saunas and hormesis hot stone therapy to promote the synthesis of heat shock proteins
- Hyperthermia therapies overheat the tumor tissue from the outside; the heat has no effect on healthy tissue.
- Basic research since the 1970s has verified that temperatures above 39.5°C damage tumor cells, destroying them or impeding their growth.
- Overheating tumor cells causes a lack of oxygen. This results in over-acidification of the heated cells and a lack of nutrients in the tumor. The cell metabolism is destroyed, resulting in cell death (apoptosis) of the tumor cells.
Healthiest Spectrum of Light?
The spectrum of light that appears to be most resonant with cell tissues seems to lie within the infrared spectrum. Studies suggest that far infrared light stimulates the production of cell tissue and rapidly promotes the regeneration of skin and blood tissue in areas exposed to it. This could also prove to be especially helpful in the recovery of wounds and following surgery in preventing the formation of scar tissue.
Research performed by Tiina Karu, M.D., of the Laser Technology Center in Russia, holds that the infrared spectrum of light speeds up cellular metabolic processes, like stimulating the activity of mitochondria, and triggering enzyme activity as well as the healing, regeneration, and normalization of damaged cell tissue.
Crystals Modulate Infrared Waves
- World renowned scientist Dr. Chian, of China, demonstrated that infrared acts as an information carrier when passed through various materials, including human and animal DNA, pheromones, as well as gemstones such as amethyst
- Infrared alone was not as effective for the healing, but rather the addition of information being released from the amethyst provided the greater effect, as hypothesized by researchers.
- As one Korean research scientist said, “It appears that with infrared we are talking about energy, but with the addition of amethyst, we are now talking about energy plus healing information”
Infrared as an Information Carrier
- 1922 - Alexander G. Gurwitsch, experiments with onion roots
- 1982 - Fritz-Albert Popp, developed biophoton theory, coined the term biophotons
Biophotons are coherent photons, emitted from biological organisms, that transmit information.
Living organisms send and receive information via light.
Allergies and Biophoton-Information
Allergies may not be a Chemical reaction but a Biophoton Information reaction
Infrared Allergy-Factor Transmission Experiments
More Dramatic Biophoton Test
- The electromagnetic vibration pattern of one living organism can be transmitted to cause physical changes in another living organism
- 90% DNA, while generally considered junk, may actually be involved in communication via light
- Dr. Chian Kanzehn invented a DNA Information Transfer Device
Dr. Chiang Kanzhen:
Tested 480 Chickens
- 25% Feet changed like Duck Feet
- 80% Head changed like Duck head
- 70% Neck longer
- 90% Eyes change like Duck Eyes
Duck-Chicken’s next Generation became same Duck-Chicken
- Light passed through wheat DNA into corn
- Super Wheat-Corn increased 300% in Size
- Changed DNA continued to next Generation
- Much Stronger than Normal Corn
Testing Cancer in Rabbits
- Rabbits do not get a specific form of cancer
- Infrared passed through rabbit DNA onto mice
- 300 Mice with induced cancer
- Control: 100% died
- Infrared through DNA: 70% lived
- Infrared is an information carrier
Transfer High Quality Infrared Ray witH Natural Information
- We continue to better understand how infrared can be used to assist the body to achieve a higher state of health and vitality
- Infrared healing technologies are rapidly advancing with continual research in both the alternative and mainstream medical worlds
- Infrared healing technology is in your future